Friday 10 October 2008

Movember Time Again


Next month, the month of November, will be Movember and the anniversary of the first time I shaved my beard and moustache since December 1967.  Never mind my kids, not even my wife, Ingrid, had ever seen me without a beard except in photographs. Well, all that has changed and I spent the summer clean shaven - for the most part.

Following is the text of a letter that I have sent to family and a number of friends and colleagues in the hope that some of them will join with me again this Movember to raise funds for prostate cancer research in Canada.  I have also recommended to colleagues in the U.S. and Australia to form teams there.


Last November two of my sons, some male friends and colleagues, and I - with great support from wives, daughters, girlfriends and other enthusiastic and (usually) sympathetic ladies - raised $5,865 (yes, five thousand eight hundred and sixty-five dollars Canadian) in donations for the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada . We did this as a moustache-growing team called the MoCann Terriers participating in an international/global fund-raising initiative known as "Movember".

As a man living with prostate cancer (very small, very slow growing, not (yet) life-threatening, under medical supervision) I must own up to having a certain vested interest in funds going towards this cause.

This November I've decided to get hairy and again grow a moustache for Movember - a movement that is changing the face of men's health nationally and globally. With thousands of other men and women I'm committed to tackling men's health issues and being proactive in the fight against prostate cancer. However, I know that on my own I cannot be nearly as effective as doing this together with a great team such as last year's Mocann Terriers and all the supporters who rallied round.

Here is the link promoting Movember 2008.


You can also follow this link to read up about what Movember is.




I invite each one of you to join my team this year, the "Mostashed Hairiers."

What happens if you join the Mostashed Hairiers ? 
You shave clean on the evening of October 31 and take a picture to prove it. You could get supporters to sponsor you just for doing that if you already have a moustache. For the entire month of November you shave your beard, but not your moustache, taking a picture every four or five days to post on the team blog so that the world can admire/guffaw/whatever and, most importantly, your supporters will make sponsorship donations to the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada. Your wife/girlfriend/partner/whoever has a very important role to play in helping find sponsors for you from among their own friends and acquaintances.

To join my team, the "Mostashed Hairiers", click [HERE
or paste this into your browser: 
http://ca.movember.com/register/register-team.php?join=1&action=invited&search_captain_id=1349971&search_captain_email=terrycmccann@gmail.com

Once registered you'll be sent all the information you need to get donations and get growing as part of my Movember team, the Mostashed Hairiers.

You will need these details to complete your online registration:
Captain's Registration Number: 1349971
Captain's Email Address: terrycmccann@gmail.com



I fully understand and appreciate that not everyone will feel free to join as a mo-growing Mo Bro. There are three other important ways you can help:

1. Sponsor the team, or particular team members, with a financial contribution.
2. Spread the word. Make colleagues, family members or friends aware of Movember and the Mostashed Hairiers via the web links. You don't need to ask them to donate. Hopefully they will enthuse over what they see in their browsers and be motivated to donate to this very worthy cause.
3. Most importantly, educate yourself about prostate cancer - the number one cancer threat to Canadian men. If you are over 40 you are at risk; speak to your doctor about having a baseline PSA if you have not already had one. Prostate cancer is 95% curable if detected and treated early.

Your Movember Mo Bro - Terry