Wednesday 22 September 2010

Vacation in Quebec - Part 2

The Sainte-Anne Canyon

Canyon Ste-Anne, upper falls



On Sunday we went to the Sainte-Anne Canyon. We took it slowly and made the most of some of the spectacular and beautiful views, taking dozens of photos.
Canyon Ste-Anne, lookout points
Some of the 187 steps to the lowest bridge

The canyon has been grooved into rock that is 1.2 billion years old at a rate, if I recall correctly, of about a millimeter per year.
lowest bridge





The waterfall, at 74 meters top to bottom, is higher than the Niagara Falls. The volume of water varies immensely during the various seasons. I would love to see the Spring melt.

Foofie Slide
There is also a zip slide at the highest point for the adventurous. We used to call it a foofie slide :-) I understand they have them at a few places in South Africa now, as well as Vic Falls.

This is a video I took of the rapids behind Ingrid and me in the picture above. Unfortunately I took the video with my camera tilted 90 degrees so you have to tilt your head to the left to watch it :-(