Sunday 2 October 2011

Toilet humour and conviviality at Kwa-McCann


Other than Heather we had the whole clan, partners and grandkids over at Kwa-McCann today. For my birthday later this month I had requested that, instead of gifts and presents, the family would give me a gift of service: the shingles on my workshop roof need replacing. Today was the day that everybody was to come over and do the job.


Unfortunately, the day was also the day that it rained, contrary to the weather forecast three days ago; doing the workshop roof was out of the question. 
However, one day before the end of last year, and one day before a special Provincial rebate was to expire for homeowners who retrofit their homes with approved, green, energy efficient fittings, Ingrid and I bought an approved, water conserving, highly efficient muck-flushing toilet. I had never got round to installing it and had no idea how I would install it when the time would come. Well, it occured to me that, with the rain and all, today might be just the day, so I floated the idea, flushed with excitement, and was relieved that everyone agreed that this would be a good thing to do.

I won't bore you with the details. Suffice to say that, after we did an exchange at the Home Depot because Sean found a crack in the cistern of my brand new toilet, and assisted by a DIY video found on YouTube, the guys all did a great job on my new toilet and this was a burden of which I could wash my hands.

Ingrid had made a great lamb curry yesterday evening and, all in all, the day was a huge success.