Tuesday 21 October 2008

Autumn or Winter


Today we had snow - and not just a little flurry - real snow which continued on and off the whole day around our neck of the woods.  










This has happened just nine days after a glorious Thanksgiving weekend which inspired me to get out my camera and drive around our neighbourhood to catch some of the local fall colours which I have uploaded to an album, 2008 October Fall-Winter.





Before coming to Canada I was of the impression that autumn was the "proper" word for this season and that fall was just a "lazy American" word.  I will own up to being led to this conclusion by snobbish prejudice. I was wrong and I have spent the last few years trying to be a bit more open to the possibility that I might even be wrong on some other points; I'm just trying to discover what they are :-)

Here's what I found in the Online Etymology Dictionary:
Fall
Noun sense of "autumn" (now only in U.S.) is 1664, short for fall of the leaf (1545).
Autumn
c.1374, from O.Fr. autumpne, from L. autumnus, a word probably of Etruscan origin. Harvest was the Eng. name for the season until autumn began to displace it 16c.

Here are a few photos I have selected from the album.  All pictures in the album were taken less than 5 minutes drive from our house.









Snow falling front of our house today