Sunday 3 January 2010

I forgot to mention...

I forgot to mention in my previous post...

Ingrid and I spent New Year's Eve "home alone" watching a DVD. The original plan had been to go to a dance at church but that was cancelled due to insufficient tickets being sold. We quite enjoy these evenings met ons tweetjes (just the cosy two of us) and being New Year didn't alter that. I set the alarm on my Blackberry to go off at a minute before midnight and we settled down with some crackers, cheese and red wine to watch the movie "The Departed". It's a good movie, full of suspense, and we really got into it. There is a scene towards the end where Matt Damon is alone, maybe, in a warehouse and he makes a call on his cellphone (there are quite a few cellphone scenes in the movie.) As he makes the call, another cellphone rings and so, obviously, the person he is phoning is right there in the warehouse somewhere. It's all a bit confusing. When the cellphone rang again Ingrid realised she was being paged from work (she was on call) and so we paused the movie while she scrambled for her pager. I stopped her and pointed out that her pager plays "Hey Jude" and what we heard was "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" whereupon the penny dropped and a light went on in my head that the "other" cellphone had been my Blackberry alarm which repeats every two minutes and the time was now 2 minutes past midnight. We both just sat there in stitches of laughter before filling our glasses and drinking in the New Year.

In my defence I had just recently changed the tune on my alarm from "The Entertainer" which I would have recognised immediately as my alarm.

My mom used to say that getting old was a "helluva thing", but being older does have its lighter moments.