Friday 8 March 2013

Israeli Settlers Dump Sewage On Palestinian Land


This is simply wrong. It is also uncouth arrogance and the most effective way to promote conflict while others are praying sincerely for peace in the Middle East and for good relationships between Israel and its neighbours in particular. It is a successful way to retain the moral low ground. There are Israelis who feel even more strongly than I do about this. What is happening in the Middle East is certainly very complicated and I have no idea how it should best be resolved. I am certain, however, that this is not the way.

The saga reminds me of the behaviour of the British in India in Gandhi's time. Let me not get started on the South African apartheid analogy.

For the full faeces filled details of the contamination and stench click on this link to Open Zion in The Daily Beast.

Israeli settlers from Shavei Shomron have recently started dumping untreated sewage on the farmland in Sebastiya, a small Palestinian town in the West Bank just north of Nablus. Today, Sebastiya organized its first popular demonstration in 36 years specifically to draw attention to the issue of the sewage contaminating their lands.  Read full report here.

Photographs taken in the Shavei Shomron area. Once on the page search for "Shavei".
Credit http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=490815


It should be noted that, not only am I not anti-Jewish, which you might think from my comments above, but I am very sympathetic to the Jewish cause and am very proud to be associated by marriage with aid given to some Jews by my wife's family in Holland during World War II. There is a world of difference between being a critic and being an opponent.