Sunday 28 October 2007

I'll be growing a mo in Movember

During Movember (the month formerly known as November) I'll be growing a Mo (slang for Moustache). That's right I'm bringing the Mo back because I'm passionate about men's health and the fight against prostate cancer. Why...
  • Every year, around 22,300 Canadian men are diagnosed with prostate cancer and about 4,300 die of the disease, making it the number one cancer threat to Canadian men.
  • Men are far less healthy than women. The average life expectancy of males is 5 years less than females.
  • I actually have a small, slow growing cancer in my own prostate - bringing the whole issue pretty up-close and personal for me.
Here's what will happen. On the first of Movember I will shave off my beard and moustache (mo) for the first time since I started growing it at age 21. (My kids have never seen me without a beard and moustache.) For the rest of Movember I will keep my beard shaven, only growing a "mo" for the purpose of Movember sponsorship. I will regularly post pictures of the progress of my mo's growth and a running account of sponsorship received on an official Movember log as well as on my blog. The Movember log can be found at http://www.movember.com/ca/popups/mologs/ and typing in my name, Terry McCann, or reg number, 63730.

Canadian readers, to sponsor my Mo please go to http://www.movember.com/ca/donate, enter my registration number which is 63730 and your credit card details. Or you can sponsor me by cheque made payable to the "Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada" clearly marking the donation as being for my Registration Number: 63730. Please mail cheques to: Movember, 145 Front Street East, Suite 306, Toronto, ON M5A 1E3 Canada. All donations over $20 are automatically issued with a tax deductible receipt. You can donate anytime between now and the end of November (Movember).

Readers outside of Canada, your sponsorship would be hugely appreciated, but I doubt that you will be eligible for a tax receipt.


All donations are made directly to the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation of Canada who will use the funds to create awareness, fund research and increase support networks for those men who suffer from prostate cancer.
Some family members and friends have agreed to join with me to form the MoCann Terriers to make this a team fund-raising (raiding?) effort. The guys are the Mo Bros, the ladies are the Mo Sistas. Go to the Movember log link to see who is on the team.

Thanks for your support
More info, such as the rules for growing mo's, is available at www.movember.com.

Terry