Saturday 7 April 2012

The Holy Thursday Foot Washing - Chapter Two


On Good Friday of last year I blogged on the foot washing ceremony in Catholic churches on Holy Thursday in the post, The Holy Thursday Foot Washing - Is the point being lostbecause of legalism?  I opined that the "select men only" rule and the pain and dissension around that rule could lead some priests to decide simply to omit that ceremony from the Maundy Thursday liturgy. It gives me no pleasure or satisfaction to say, "I told you so" but... I told you so. I heard yesterday of at least one parish in the Toronto Archdiocese where the priest's attempt to introduce and enforce the "selected men (only)" rule sparked such outrage in the parish community that he decided it would be better not to have the foot washing at all.

That is not a solution, It is a cop-out.