Friday 13 October 2006

Update from Quebec

...not Quebec City but a place called Shefford in Quebec Province where an old friend of mine, Clement, has a house in beautiful rural surroundings forty-five minutes west of Montreal on the A10. Without going into details, Clem and I were student friends in South Africa going back to the late Sixties. I have just come back from Sherbrooke where I enjoyed a reunion with two other French Canadian friends we both have in common, both Catholic priests, Fathers Robert and Jean-Claude, Mariannhill Fathers. Jean-Claude and Clem I last saw about four years ago when Ingrid, Stephen, Judith and I spent a week based at a resort in Magog, not far from Sherbrooke. At that time Fr. Jean-Claude took us to Quebec City where we spent two wonderful days as he showed us around - and handled all French communication on our behalf!! It was like two days in Europe.
This time I left the rest of the family at home and drove over mainly to see Fr Robert whom I had not seen in over thirty years. He is in Sherbrooke on holiday from Kenya where he is Superior at the Mariannhill House of studies in Nairobi. We had a great time talking about `the old days`.
This evening Clem and I are going to a local restaurant to have some popotte Québécoise.